Subsidy Program (BFP) – Windsor
We encourage you take advantage of the Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program (BFP) offered by the City of Windsor. The BFP program is designed to assist homeowners by way of a financial subsidy to install a sump pump and/or back-water valve (flood protection devices) and/or disconnect foundation drains from the floor drain.
What is it?
The City is offering residents a financial subsidy to install a sump pump, sump pump overflow and/or install a back-water valve and/or disconnect foundation drains from the floor drain. The amount of subsidy that may be available to residents is described below:
Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy–Eligible Amounts
- Install Backwater Valve(s) – (Licensed plumber required – We are certified to do this work)
Up to 80% of cost ($1,000 maximum)
- Install sump pump with sump pump overflow and disconnect foundation drains to floor drains
Up to 80% of cost ($1,750 maximum)
- Install only sump pump overflow to discharge outside to surface (applies to existing sump pumps only)
Up to 80% of cost ($300 maximum)
- Install backwater valve and sump pump with sump pump overflow
Up to 80% of cost ($2,800 maximum)
- Disconnect foundation drains from floor drain and/or dye testing and camera work as required
up to 80% of cost ($400 maximum)
* Disputes with respect to qualifying work will be resolved by the City Engineer and/or the Chief Building Official or their designate.
The MAXIMUM ELIGIBLE SUBSIDY LIMIT IS $2,800 per HOME/UNIT
What the program does not cover:
- Replacement of existing sump pump
- Upgrade of sump pump
- Addition of another sump pump
- Installation of a sump pump when foundation drains are already separated from floor drain or sanitary sewer
- Work performed for which a permit cannot be obtained.
Who is eligible for this program?
This program is available to homeowners who live in the City of Windsor and do not have amounts owing to the City such as back taxes or overdue payments.
Being enrolled in a payment plan is acceptable for the purpose of satisfying the requirement under the Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program of being current on your taxes. If your taxes are not current and you are not enrolled in a payment plan, please contact us to arrange a payment plan.
How do I take advantage of the Program?
or mail it to:
Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program
Engineering – Development & Geomatics
350 City Hall Square West, Suite 302
Windsor, Ontario N9A 6S1